Thursday, April 19, 2012

Haunting

I was delighted to see, on logging back in today, a message that read, simply, "The Ghost has walked."

Why?  Well, because it's a ghost I made.  It adds to the atmosphere down in the underwater area in Burroughs, you see.

You might recall the pictures of the airlocks from yesterday's posts.  These things, basically, have two iris doors - square prims that develop a large round hole in them (through judicious use of llSetLinkPrimitiveParams, natch) when you click on them.  (Of course, there is a sequence, inner door opens - inner door closes - outer door opens - outer door closes.)  I was adding sound effects to these, yesterday, and found a sound in my inventory which is a short, low burst of hopeless sobbing.  Not much use as a door-opening effect, but very atmospheric, in small doses.

So I modified the script, a bit.  At a random but fairly lengthy interval (somewhere between one and five hours, resetting randomly each time), the sobbing sound will play... and the airlock doors will cycle, all by themselves.  As if someone has gone out, and isn't coming back.

At least, that's the idea.  I have set it up so it sends me an IM whenever this happens, so I will know, I hope, if it goes wrong.  So... we have a haunted airlock in Burroughs, right now.  Tell every parapsychologist you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment